Thursday, September 24, 2009

Anne of Green Gables

Tonight I went and saw my 16-year-old sister in her school's production of Anne of Green Gables. The kids did a really great job. As I was watching the play, I kept remembering all the times I read the book as a young girl. I loved to read as a child and did it all the time (now I just wish I could, but homework seems to get in the way...); I was often grounded from reading because I would do that instead of homework, cleaning my room, or going to sleep. I read everything I could get my hands on, including shampoo bottles and cereal boxes. I've developed a lot of my ideas about people, relationships, history, and life from the books that I read as a child, but most of the time I wouldn't realize that my opinions didn't originate with me. In class we talked about how books are often considered the "higher" form of media. I don't think that's always the case because there are hundreds of great movies that are better than hundreds of books. But, in general, I'm very glad that I grew up mostly reading instead of watching Rugrats. I think it's made me a less judgmental and more educated person. Here's to hoping my kids will be the same way.

1 comment:

  1. That is interesting to think about! - forming our views of people through the books we read. I guess it shows the importance of monitoring what we read as well as what our kids read. Maybe also talking more with our kids about what they are reading and finding out what they think about certain things. :)

    ReplyDelete